When some gentlemen of Comrie convened a meeting in March 1891 to consider the formation of a golf club in the village, the use of a drone to survey potential locations for a course around the village would have been pure science fiction. Fast forward to the present day, and one can see from the drone footage that the founding fathers did their job well. The Laggan Braes course, located a short walk from the centre of the village, provides wonderful topography for a layout full of interest, with superb views over the village to the south and west. The legendary James Braid was commissioned by the Club to recommend
changes to the course layout in the 1920s. Apart from some minor changes, the course retains the Braid design to this day. The photo of the course below (possibly taken in the late 1920s?) is striking in many respects. The lack of trees on the course is obvious, as is the size of the village then compared to now. The path
hole, passing through the bracken (the bracken is still present too!).
We are fortunate to be one of the few clubs in the area which owns their course. The opportunity to purchase the Laggan Braes from the landlord, Sir David Baird of Tomperran, was taken in the early 1960s. Thanks to the efforts of many, an announcement was made at the AGM in October 1962 that the course had been purchased for £750.
that the photographer is standing on is still used by walkers on the right of the current 6th
The old 1st green looking back to the clubhouse ~1960
Further change followed with the installation of new water supply, and construction of the current approach road at the end of the Laggan Park. Prior to this, members would walk up the path from the River Lednock to the clubhouse.
A further investment by the club was made in 1975, when a cottage was built next to the 1st tee. It was occupied by the head greenkeeper until 2010, and has since been let privately.
In the 1980s a capercaillie took up residence in the woods surrounding the course. A member of the grouse family, the species is renowned for guarding its territory with vigour, so much so that it was given a wide berth after one of the greenkeepers received a nip on the hand from its powerful beak. Sadly no longer to be seen in the area, it was incorporated into the club logo by former member and local artist, Ian R Oates.
The original clubhouse was opened in 1902 (as below) and extended in 1982, but less than 20 years later plans were submitted to replace it with a more modern structure. Thanks to
the considerable support of local architects, timber frame manufacturers, tradesmen, and the membership, the new clubhouse was formally opened in 2003. It has been the envy of many visitors, and provides a light and airy space to relax after a round with views onto the course, together with modern changing facilities, office and storage space, and a well appointed kitchen.
Combined with progressive investment in modern machinery to maintain the course, and an additional maintenance shed built in 2010 for our 2 skilled greenkeepers, the club is well placed to face the next chapter in its history, and continues to provide an enjoyable and beautiful location for all who grace the fairways on the Laggan Braes.